Letters of Administration: ,300 + Court Fee

We at the Law Offices of Albert Goodwin offer a flat fee for helping you obtain letters of administration. We have 15 years of experience and can take care of the process as quickly and efficiently as possible. You call us at 212-233-1233 or send us an email at [email protected] to get started.

Our fee covers the following services and documents:

  • Advising the client what information and documents are needed
  • Collecting the documents and information from the client
  • Drafting documents and filing the documents with the court. The documents are listed below.
  • Petition for Administration
  • Oath and Designation
  • Part 130 Certification
  • Affidavit of Heirship, Sole Distributee and/or Family Tree
  • Waivers of Citation, Renunciation and Consents to Appointment of Administrator
  • Bond Affidavit (Affidavit of Assets and Liabilities)
  • Proposed Decree for the Judge to Sign
  • Request for Certificate of Appointment of Administrator

Our fee does not include the court fee, which depends on the value of the estate. The court fees start at $45 and can be up to $1,250. You can view the complete schedule of the court fees here.

We can only offer this flat fee where everyone consents to the process. In estates where there are disagreements, minor or disabled individuals or individuals who are unable to be located, a different fee will apply.

Here is a redacted image of New York letters of administration obtained by our law firm:

New York Letters of Administration

Here is a redacted image of a Certificate of Appointment of Administrator obtained by our law firm:

New York Certificate of Appointment of Administrator

If you would like to get started with the process, you call us at 212-233-1233 or send us an email at [email protected]

Letters of administration is a name for a document issued by the Surrogate’s Court which permits a person to act on behalf of an estate of a person who died without leaving a will. The document is not a letter – it’s a court order. The confusion stems from the fact that Order used to be called Letters hundreds of years ago.

Letters of administration authorize a person to act as a representative of an estate. They allow a person to perform the responsibilities of an estate. Here are some of the things a person can do once they are appointed as an administrator of an estate by letters of administration NY issued by the Surrogate’s Court:

  • Obtain a tax id number for an estate from the federal government
  • Open an estate bank account
  • Request information from banks and other institutions that control the decedent’s assets. The banks will comply if you show them the Letters of Administration and the death certificate
  • Transfer assets from the decedent’s name to the name of the estate
  • Pay debts of the decedent
  • Collect claims of the decedent
  • Marshal assets of the estate
  • Distribute the estate assets to the beneficiaries of the estate, after obtaining proper waivers or providing an accounting

Those things would be impossible to do without letters of administration NY. The banks will not give you information and will not transfer the assets, the county recorder will not record property deeds, and a buyer will not buy a property from you.

You often need more than one, since each bank and government agency would require an original. Also, some institutions require a more official-looking document. This is why the court can also issue a Certificate of Appointment of Administrator, which is printed on a watermarked blue paper and looks similar to a death certificate, birth certificate or marriage certificate.

Even if the decedent died in a different state, and you have Letters of Administration from that state, you will still need to obtain separate Letters of Administration in NY, by verifying out-of-state Letters of Administration through a NY ancillary administration proceeding.

Letters of administration are issued when a person died without a will, to a person who applies and is appointed by the court as the administrator of a deceased person’s estate. A person can only be an administrator if they are related to the person who died. The spouse of the decedent gets a preference, followed by children, grandchildren, other descendants, parents, siblings, etc.

If a person died and no one stepped forward to be the administrator of their estate, then Letters of Administration will be issued to the Public Administrator of the county where the decedent lived.

How to get letters of administration

In order to get letters of administration, you will need your estate attorney to apply for them through the Surrogate’s Court. Your attorney will need to submit the appropriate documents, which may include Petition for Administration of Estate, the original death certificate, notices and citations, copy of the funeral bill, affidavit of heirship, affidavit of family tree, affidavit of due diligence, etc.. There will be a hearing in the Surrogate’s Court whereby your candidacy for the Letters of Administration will be considered by the judge.

How long does it take to get letters of administration

It typically takes a few months to get letters of administration. If the administration proceeding is contested, i.e. if someone is contesting your right to become the estate administrator, then getting letters of administration can take years, or they can be potentially denied altogether, with either the challenger or the public administrator getting the letters instead. Although getting the letters is only one of the steps of an administration proceeding, it is the most important step.

If you would like to get started with the process, you call us at 212-233-1233 or send us an email at [email protected]

Attorney Albert Goodwin

Law Offices of
Albert Goodwin, PLLC
31 W 34 Str, Suite 7058
New York, NY 10001

Tel. 212-233-1233

[email protected]

Contact Us