New York Estate Attorney With a Record of Client Satisfaction and Fast Results
Albert Goodwin, Esq. is a leading New York wills, trusts, estates and elder law attorney who consistently achieves superior results, is widely praised by his clients and is respected in the legal community.
Our law firm has helped hundreds of people just like you. We have secured millions of dollars for our clients. We can use our knowledge and experience to help you preserve your estate and pass it on to the next generation.
We have a few changes and recommendations related to the coronavirus:
- We are mostly working remotely, through phone, remote meeting software, email and mail.
- New York State temporarily authorizes remote notarization and remote execution of all legal documents, including wills, trusts and estate litigation documents. You can get in touch with us to discuss the details of how we can make your will or trust, probate your loved one’s estate or litigate a lawsuit remotely and without contact.
- The courts are mostly working remotely. This translates in longer waiting times for all legal matters, including probate and estate.
- Because the court waiting times are so much slower, it is even more imperative to create a trust, in order to avoid the probate process, which is now more lengthy than ever.
- It is more important than ever to create a power of attorney for an event of disability, so that your loved one can make financial decisions for you.
- It is also important to create a health care proxy, to designate a loved one to make decisions for you in case you will no longer be able to make decisions for yourself due to illness.
- If you need an emergency will, power of attorney or healthcare proxy, or you need to apply for emergency Medicaid, we can have an emergency plan set up quickly.
You can get in touch with us and set up an emergency estate plan or start a court proceeding. It will be done safely, remotely and without contact.
HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT OUR SERVICES?
Do you suspect that you are getting short-changed on your rightful inheritance? Have a feeling that the Executor is mishandling the estate? You may need a New York, NY estate lawyer if you feel any of the following:
- The will is a fraud. The person who made the will was tricked into making it.
- The executor is stealing from the estate, and I want to get the money back.
- I need to remove the executor due to misconduct.
- I am a spouse who was cut out of the will, and I want to receive my portion of the inheritance to which I am entitled by law.
- The executor is claiming that I am not a relative, and I am a relative and I have proof.
If you are having issues with an estate, call us today at 212-233-1233 and discuss what we can do to get your rightful share of the inheritance.
As experienced New York estate planning lawyers, we recommend wills for younger clients and trusts for middle-aged and older clients. Wills are great because they are relatively quick and easy to make. Trusts are great because they can help you qualify for Medicaid, avoid the courts, and control what happens to your money after your death. Find out more about estate planning:
- How do I make sure the court is not going to void my will? You have to execute the will properly, with the assistance of an estate planning attorney.
- Why do I need a lawyer to make a will? A will is presumed to be executed correctly if an attorney supervised the will execution. Not so when you make the will yourself.
- Should I make a trust? We recommend trusts for most middle-aged and older clients. Trusts help you avoid the delays and hassle of probate, protect your assets from creditors and predators, help you be flexible in whom you give your property to and when, and can help you qualify for Medicaid.
- How do I plan for a disabled child? Most disabled children would need a Special Needs Trust in order to keep qualifying for government benefits such as Medicaid.
- How do I plan for my disability? The best way to plan for your own disability is to create a power of attorney that is effective at a later time and a trust.
Albert Goodwin, Esq. is a New York probate lawyer who helps administrators and executors close out and settle estates. Our knowledge of the court system allows us to close and settle matters in New York Surrogate's Court without unneeded expenses and delays. Here is some information about probating an estate:
- How probate works. There are specific steps that need to be taken in the probate process. The executor needs to file the correct documents with the court, notify all necessary parties, pay valid creditors, obtain waivers from beneficiaries and distribute the estate. As a probate attorney, Albert Goodwin can help you through every step of that process.
- A sample timeline for probate. Every part of probate takes time. An experienced probate attorney can help you minimize the amount of time it takes
- What do I need to do when someone dies? There are specific steps that need to be followed after someone dies.
- Probate FAQ We answer the most commonly asked questions about probate
If your loved one died and you need legal representation in probating their estate, give us a call at 212-233-1233.
Being an executor can feel like there's a target on your back. Albert Goodwin is a New York estate lawyer who can help you get your peace of mind back.
Are the beneficiaries accusing you of cheating them? Are they challenging the will? Estate lawyer NYC - we can help you fight back.
- I need to defend a will contest. The will is executed correctly and made without any undue influence and the person who made the will had the capacity to make the will.
- Beneficiaries are unjustly accusing me of taking advantage of the estate. I did not do anything wrong.
- I have to provide a compulsory accounting because the beneficiaries are compelling me to do so through the court.
If you are an executor and the beneficiaries are creating problems for you, give us a call at 212-233-1233 and we can see how we can help you resolve the situation.
Albert Goodwin, Esq. is a New York guardianship lawyer who can help you establish a guardianship for a loved one or defend against a guardianship that you feel is being forced on your loved one.
We help clients legally qualify for certain types of Medicaid through the use of trusts and other advanced Medicaid Planning techniques. Trusts help our clients qualify for Medicaid as well as achieve other benefits such as avoiding probate and keeping the inheritance in the immediate family.
- Do I qualify for New York Medicaid? Even if you don't, we can help you qualify
- A trust can help you qualify for Medicaid even if you are otherwise over the asset or income limit
Call us today at 212-233-1233 and we can determine if we can help you qualify for Medicaid.
Albert Goodwin is an experienced New York estate lawyer who has successfully represented clients all over NYC. He is your local estate lawyer near me - he has experience in all parts of the city and beyond, including New York County (Manhattan), Kings County (Brooklyn), Bronx County, Queens County, and Richmond County (Staten Island). He has also successfully litigated estates in Nassau County and Suffolk County in Long Island, as well as in Westchester County (the White Plains court).
Resources for New York Estate Attorneys - If you are a New York City estate attorney who is looking for a specific form or for guidance in representing a client in an estate case, you may be able to find it here. We are also available as co-counsel and are ready to step in as a trial lawyer on short notice if necessary.
Read our articles (PDF) here: Will Contests in New York: An Overview (PDF) and Three Crucial Steps in New York City Estate Planning.
If you are looking for a New York City estate attorney, contact Albert Goodwin, Esq. Give us a call at (212) 233-1233.
We look forward to securing your estate for generations to come.
Submit your review
During a long, drawn-out estate settlement, I was very fortunate to have Albert Goodwin as my attorney. He is extremely competent, straightforward, and very effective. Albert was my confidant and legal guide as he tackled my case. I always felt that he was looking out for my interests and giving me sound advice. Prior to Albert's involvement, my case had come to a halt. He moved it along and brought it to a satisfying conclusion. I attribute my eventual success solely to Albert's actions. I greatly appreciate all that he did for me. Russell Kivatisky, Ph.D.
My husband died in Australia on a scuba diving vacation that turned out to be to much for his heart, leaving a substantial estate.
Before I was aware of what was going on his sister rushed in naming herself next of kin, claiming that her brother was divorced attempting to cheat me out of my inheritance.
I was devastated at the loss of my a strained yet very loved husband.
I spoke to some attorneys in the state of North Carolina where I reside however I was informed that they were unable to take the case as my husband's estate was in New York, therefore I would have to acquire a New York attorney.
I went on the internet and just prayed that the lord would bless me with a good attorney, I was blessed with not just a good attorney but a great one.
A tearful frantic call to a busy Albert Goodwin, who to my surprise answered his phone, after all it was after hours but this man was still there, upon hearing my situation told me he would move some things around and would be happy to take my case, I think he disliked the way I was being treated.
This is a great firm they helped me every step of the way even though I lived out of state.
Mr. Goodwin took control of this situation we became a team, he requested documents once he had those documents my worries were over, soon I was executive of my husbands estate executing his wishes as I know he would have wanted.
I will never forget Mr. Goodwin's last words to some people we will not name, "After All She Is His Wife"
Thank you for everything.
Mrs. Michele Hines Diaconescu.
He took a case that another lawyer refused to take and got us a settlement. Very happy with his abilities as a lawyer.
Mr. Albert Goodwin, Esq., represented me as the beneficiary of a trust. This very complicated & difficult issue had been unresolved for 24 years!
I finally received my rightful share, only after Mr. Goodwin used his intelligence, observational skills & foresight to win. He has excellent morality...something sadly missing in most people in the 21st Century.
I am thankful & grateful I hired Mr. Goodwin as my attorney. He went above & beyond to win. I highly recommend his services.
Mr. Albert Goodwin, Esq. does your legal matters correctly the first time. He does his legal work in a very effective and sensitive way. In my case the legal work was for a will, health care proxy and power of attorney. He has become the go-to-man for me to find an appropriate lawyer- an additional great benefit of our professional relationship. I recommend Mr. Albert Goodwin, Esquire highly.