Can a Non-Citizen or Non-Resident be a Guardian of a Child?

In New York, a non-citizen or non-resident can be a guardian if it’s in the best interests of the child. The decision is ultimately up to the guardianship court. The best thing to do when you designate a guardian is to designate a back-up guardian or co-guardian who is a U.S. Citizen or at least a U.S. permanent legal resident.

Attorney Albert Goodwin

Law Offices of
Albert Goodwin, PLLC
31 W 34 Str, Suite 7058
New York, NY 10001

Tel. 212-233-1233

[email protected]

Contact Us