Can I Designate a Guardian for my Child in the Event of My Disability

In New York, there is no binding mechanism to designate a guardian for your child in the event of your disability. You can designate a guardian in your will, but that only works in the event of your death. The best we can do is put together a witnessed letter that states your intent and leave it with the potential guardian you would chose, so that they can present the witnessed letter to the court if the need ever arises. The overarching standard in proceedings for guardianship for children is the best interest of the child.

Attorney Albert Goodwin

Law Offices of
Albert Goodwin, PLLC
31 W 34 Str, Suite 7058
New York, NY 10001

Tel. 212-233-1233

[email protected]

Contact Us