≡ Menu

What a Financial Lawyer Can Do For You

financial lawyer

A financial lawyer can represent you in a variety of financing transactions and proceedings. These financing transactions and proceedings may include bankruptcy, mergers and acquisitions, real estate, debt collection, and insurance, to name a few.

If you are looking for a financial lawyer, we at the Law Offices of Albert Goodwin are here for you. You can send us an email at attorneyalbertgoodwin@gmail.com.

Bankruptcy

When you cannot pay your debts when they become due, you have two options in bankruptcy: either to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy which totally discharges the debt, or Chapter 13 bankruptcy which simply restructures the debt. A financial lawyer like us will help determine whether bankruptcy is the right remedy for you. The lawyer will review your debts to see whether they are dischargeable in bankruptcy, whether your assets and income are exempt from collection, and whether you have non-exempt property that you will lose in bankruptcy.

Mergers and acquisitions

When individuals or companies purchase companies, they can either pay all of the cash up front or put up only 20% equity with the remaining 80% financed by a bank using the target company’s assets as collateral. In the latter case, the acquirer uses the target company’s income to pay the monthly amortization of the loan consisting of 80% of the target’s purchase price.

A financial lawyer like us can represent you with the target company and the bank. Our law office can conduct the due diligence required in reviewing the human resources agreements and policies, intellectual property contracts and registrations, tax compliances, IT software and agreements, and the assignability of the target company’s assets. A financial lawyer like us can also review and negotiate your agreement with the financial institution to secure the best possible terms for an acquirer.

Real estate

Real estate transactions are similar to M&A transactions because they deal with both the bank and the buyer or seller. In New York, it is custom for both the buyer and seller to be represented by lawyers in real estate transactions. A financial lawyer like us can advise you on provisions that should be included to protect the client, such as contingency and other protection clauses.

Debt collection

Debt collection is a straightforward legal matter. A financial lawyer can represent you, whether you’re a creditor who wants to get back your money or a debtor who wants defense from overeager creditors or would like to restructure the debt. We have represented both parties in legal proceedings and can help you with debt collection problems.

Insurance

Insurance companies generally grant small claims but usually give the insured a harder time for large claims. A financial lawyer like us can help you prepare a strong claim from the very start to ensure a lesser likelihood of claim denial. The financial lawyer can also advise you whether the offer of the insurance company is acceptable or not. Insurance claims are time-sensitive and always require prompt action in filing cases. If there is no response from the insurance company within a particular period, the insured needs to be ready in filing a claim in court. Otherwise, the claim may be barred. Having a lawyer review your documents at the outset can minimize the risk of denial or any risk that your claim may be barred by the statute of limitations.

Although there are many other sectors of financial law, our law firm specializes in the above areas of expertise. Should you need assistance, we at the Law Offices of Albert Goodwin are here for you. We have offices in New York, NY, Brooklyn, NY, and Queens, NY. You can call us at 718-509-9774 or send us an email at attorneyalbertgoodwin@gmail.com.